Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Oh WHERE is my hairbrush?!?!?

I supposed it's no coincidence that the day that I sit down to write the blog about the sweet and selfless reminder that my son gave me last week falls on the same day that he is pushing my patience to the edge. I guess in many ways, knowing his contrasting mood possibilities makes today's post ring sweeter still. 

Enjoy post 2 in my series of 3 consecutive blogs inspired by my 3yr old son, Kamran Grant.



I'm a flake. You know my type: We can never find anything. If we are used to carrying 3 items out the door, but randomly have an extra item to carry, we will most likely subconsciously check off three items, one of which is the random item,  thus causing us to forget one of the regulars. We, of course, don't realize this until we are half way down the road, unless we are lucky enough that the forgotten item was our car keys. 

I'm a perfectly otherwise intelligent and otherwise mature person, but indeed, I do find myself looking for my bra, my cell phone and my hairbrush on a nearly daily basis. (Sorry for the bra image, but it's a fact.) 

I was getting ready for work the other evening when I was searching for my hairbrush, regardless, I was in a pretty good mood, and I was joking out loud with my husband that you think that as frazzled as looking for these things makes me, I would practice more prevention. During this time, my three year old son Kamran Grant decided to intervene. He put down his toys and came into my bedroom and began searching right along side me. We chatted a little, and then he was gone. 

I decided to take a little break from my quest and do some other prep work for my show. About five minutes later Grant excitedly ran back into my bedroom. He couldn't wait to share his hairbrush with me. It was the one that he had gotten as a baby from a friend, with the soft bristles, designed for smoothing peach fuzz. "Here you go Mommy! You can use my hairbrush". 



Now, obviously this hairbrush would not do the intended job. It wouldn't begin to tame or part my thick hair. But don't you think for one minute that I let that steal my son's blessing. I showed him the appreciation gratitude and excitement that his actions warranted. I'm not trying to brag on myself here, but this is just one of those times that I knew that I did the 100% right thing. 

I whisked the brush out of his hands and began delightfully brushing my hair on all sides. I looked in the mirror, just as I always do when I get ready. As I brushed I poured out my thankfulness in elevated tone. Next I rushed off through the house calling for my husband by name. When I found him I shared with him the happiness that I felt because of Grant's offering. I will never forget the look on my son's face as he listened in the kitchen doorway. It was much better than the satisfaction that I got from knowing that I had taken time away from getting ready for work. 

The look on Grant's face was one of smiling eyes. He knew that he had made me happy and had gained absolutely nothing from it in return, and yet that was enough. He was happy that he had made ME happy. Even now, as I sit here and write this I almost tear up.

We Americans are all rich, whether we care to admit it or not, and that makes it very important that we make efforts of properly teaching our children the importance of taking themselves out of the center of the universe sometimes and practicing selflessness.


In the moment that I stood there in the kitchen looking into Grant's eyes listening to his father join in on the praises I felt a surge of different joys.


~I was joyful that a three year old took five minutes of his playtime and devoted it to helping someone else. (In my opinion, that is a long time for a toddler to stay focused on something that isn't self-benefiting)

~I was joyful in the feeling that I had, that I am doing something right in my parenting.

~I was joyful that I took the time to make the fuss that I made, even though the clock was ticking and I still wasn't ready for work.

and, 


~I was joyful to see this example of how perfect worship between us and God should be. 

Too often we have the attitude that loving and serving God is a trade off. That they are requirements that we must fulfill to stay in good graces with Him and hopefully have our needs met. 


Could it be that we usually miss the mark? Could we maybe be making this harder than it should be? I believe that true worship or service to our Lord is a heart issue. They are to be done for the pure joy that it brings to Him.... with no strings attached. 


2 Corinthians 9:7 NIV

Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.  
(this is not just about tithing.)



In the moments that we spend with Him, in whatever way is most fitting for each of us individually, if we can loose ourselves in Him... if we just... delight in His delight, if we can just cry out knowing that He deserves all that we could give and more... I believe THAT is true, unpolluted, unadulterated, genuine worship/or service. If I were to guess, I would say that He smiles within His joy in those moments. The moments that we actually GET IT. 

I'll bet that these are some of God's favorite moments. On this day, He decided to share one with me. I was proud of Grant, and He gave me a small glimpse of how I make Him feel when my agenda is pure. Thank goodness for the times that we listen. The times that we "get it".


In the end, I didn't find my hairbrush before work. It didn't even matter, since I realized that I was also out of hairspray. (geez, I need to get with it) I smoothed back my hair halfback into a clip and went to work smiling anyway. Why wouldn't I be? I realized that Grant had "gotten it" and so had I, and that was all that mattered.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, girl, You make me cry! (in a good way!) God is so good, and I am thankful He gave me a friend like you who keeps me reminded of this! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, I take that as a high compliment. Thank you for it. I will keep on keepin' on! :)

    ReplyDelete