Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Butterfly Effect


I saved a butterfly last week.  Our family had just arrived at Wal Mart to grab some groceries for dinner. (Pretty easy to relate to, huh!) When we got out of the car and began to walk to the entrance, I noticed this little creature kind of struggling to not blow away on this windy day. It would appear that it had become trapped in the middle of the parking lot, much like a cat up a tree. So, I leaned over and picked the little thing up and watched it watch me. I showed both of my preschoolers the upclose view, which was a treat. 

Next, my husband and our son proceeded to go into the store, but instead of following, I took our daughter and did something else. We walked hand in hand, and I talked to her about how this butterfly was lost, and it needed our help. This quickly became one of those, "everyday moments, that is a teaching moment". We took the butterfly and put it in a tree away from the parking lot. It climbed around happily. We said goodbye and proceeded on our shopping mission.

What if this mattered? No, what if this, REALLY mattered?! What if taking the time to help this tiny, seemingly insignificant insect impacted the entire world?

It seems that often in this world, we are handed out hefty doses of discouragement, and disappointment. But what if we saw things differently? What if everything we did mattered? What if it mattered, and someone proved it?


Have you ever heard of the scientific principle, The Butterfly Effect? It is defined as this:the phenomenon whereby a small change at one place in a complex system can have large effects elsewhere, e.g., a butterfly flapping its wings in Rio de Janeiro might change the weather in Chicago.

I'm VERY EXCITED about today's blog, because the point that I am trying to convey to you, has not only already been PROVEN scientifically, but has been beautifully described in a new book by author and speaker, Andy Andrews, whom I was thrilled to hear speak last month. His book is appropriately titled, "The Butterfly Effect", and if I could, I would like to recommend it as a gift for someone special in your life. That act alone, according to this scientific principle, would change the world.

Much to my delight, when I went to his website to add a link to this blog, to pay homage to this talented author, I discovered something even better! Below you will find an online sample of this beautiful book!!! And let's add some icing to that cake: Andy has also graciously added an online sample of the children's version of the book, "The Boy Who Changed the World"! Thanks Andy. What a gift, you have given us.

Please take a few minutes to flip through and read these short books, found at your local bookstores and I promise that you will walk away with, not just encouragement, but a new sense of certainty through scientific PROOF that YOU MATTER! (The links at the bottom of the page do not include the books in their entirety, they are online samples.)

Taking this idea one step deeper, let me also remind you what the book of James says about life:

James 4:14 NIV
Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
 


I challenge you to spend this brief life making a difference and bringing honor to The Creator of the Universe with every breath you take and every move you make, bringing honor to Him. Overwhelmed? Then just take it one day at a time.


I saved a butterfly last week. How will you change the world today?

Here is, "The Butterfly Effect" sample link:

Here is, "The Boy Why Changed the World" sample link:

No comments:

Post a Comment